Tag Archives: Fitting

When pegged skirts go bad… (or alternatively why I need a french curve)

13 Jul

So one of the ideas I played with when I was fitting Simplicity 2648 was pegging the skirt. Sure I thought – it looks so lovely and would work well with the fitted top.

Bad idea… bad, BAD idea (unless you like the Violet Beauregarde look). Maybe if I’d had more patience with it and used the proper process and tools, this could have worked – but I did not.

Luckily this fabric is seriously forgiving and even though I unpicked the pegged seams, it didn’t leave a mark. I’ll definitely be using it again so big thanks to Gertie and her post on sewing with double-knits which I kept up on my laptop screen the whole time to refer to.

Experiments in fitting: Simplicity 2648

12 Jul

I finally finished Simplicity 2648 last night – just in time to wear for a full day presentation at the office. This was really fun in parts and in others majorly frustrating. The pattern is one of the Amazing Fit series from simplicity which includes A-, B-, C- & D- Cup pieces and skirts cut for Slim, Average, and curvy. I cut a size 22 curvy on the skirt and a size 20 D-cup for the bodice. The pieces were fine to work with but my body is unusually shaped in many parts (aren’t we all) so there was a lot of adjusting too. I liked that the instructions give you a lot of guidance to fitting the garment but I still found I was making things up as I went.

The bust was the trickiest as I wear a 34GG bra. Beneath my bust is probably my smallest part but overall I wear a size 20-22 so figuring this pattern out was a challenge. Below is what I ended up doing on the princess seam as it was gaping badly at the arm hole.

The instructions you baste together most of the seams first then adjust as you fit. I used the left over rust coloured thread from the skirt and jacket I made last week so it was easy to see what needed to be removed once the actual seams were sewn. To fit this part, I unpicked the princess seam.

Then, with the side front piece laying flat, I overlaped the bodice front piece with the seam allowance tucked under then pinned in place.

I took out a lot from the side seam and from under the bust.

By the pattern; Pin fitting; Finished shape

In the end I probably took too much out but by this point I had gone back and forwards with pieces too many times and was quite over it. I took out the zip in the back as I was sewing with lovely thick navy double knit.

I paired it with my lovely new Veronika Maine birthday coat (thanks Mum & Dad) and was happily blue all day.