Tag Archives: Pants

Twofer: New Look 6190 & Simplicity 2593

22 Jul

Here are two super quick patterns to throw together.

The pants are my second go at New Look 6190. Unlike the khakis, this fabric had a little stretch to it so I only added 1/2 an inch to the all the vertical seam allowances versus an inch on the woven fabric. I didn’t intend to have the elasticity – it was just the by product of fabric shopping in a rush and hoping for the best.

Initially I sewed the pants on my machine with a straight stitch. When I bent down to pin my hem (the joys of fitting and pinning by ones-self) I promptly split the seam on the butt, so I sucked it up and attempted threading my serger with new thread for the first time since I bought it. This step took longer than the entire project from cutting to hem… and I still don’t have it right. But it was enough to make these pants safe for work.

I also added 1 & 1/2 inches to the crotch depth. On the Khaki’s this bought the waist to just below my belly-button. With this fabric it sits just above, don’t ask me why. Still I love the high waist, so no complaints there. These were super comfortable to wear so I know they are going to get a lot of use.

The top is a Cynthia Rowley pattern, Simplicity 2593. The design is pretty simple just a one piece back, one piece front with easing at centre front. The arms holes and neck are bound with fabric bias binding. The design element is the neck band inView A, with is a long twisted tube hand stitched to the neck edge.

I threw this together with some gingham I had hanging around for making muslins. It was definitely wearable but I’m not sold on the design on me. Again, I already know I shouldn’t buy patterns without darts or other shaping but I get sucked in with the idea of simple un-complicated designs. Unfotunately this means it’s a little boxy on me.

I made a Size 20, which gave me 3 and a half inches of ease at the bust, and I lengthened the pattern by 1 and a half inches. I also had a couple of issues with the instructions. When it comes to the arm holes, it asks you to trim off 5/8 inch once the shoulder and side seams are sewn. I couldn’t, for the life of me figure out why it asked you to do that – so I didn’t, which probably doesn’t help the boxy. Also, I found the lack of detail on how to attach the neck band, super frustrating, particularly at 11 o’clock last night when I was stubbornly  hand stitching it on. I know some people on pattern review have made some lovely versions, but I don’t know if this is a keeper for me.

Here’s how I wore these to work:

TOTAL COST (TOP)

Fabric: $8.0 (2m @ $4/m – Spotlight)

Pattern: $7.50

TOTAL: NZ$15.5 / US$11.13

TOTAL COST (PANTS)

Fabric: $24 (2.4m @ $10/m – Spotlight)

Pattern & Thread: $0 (From stash)

Zip: $4.0

TOTAL: NZ$28 / US$20.11

Khakis

23 Jun

So back in high school the first and only trousers I made were a pair of purple satin pajama pants. 12 years later here is attempt number two.

I’m pretty happy with the results. I used New Look 6190 and they ended up not too far off what’s on the pattern envelope. I bought this one about 4 years ago when I wasn’t quite so voluptuous so it was already cut out in a size 18. I adjusted this by adding 4″ to the hips (1/2″ to each seam allowance) which I carried down the whole length as it handily also equaled the 2 inches I needed to add to the thigh. The other adjustment was to add an inch to the crotch depth as I’m paranoid about showing butt crack (can you blame me, really?). Once sewed up, I had to take 3 inches off the hem. I may be 5′ 9″ but that height is not in my legs!

I used a cheap polyester drill as I just wanted to give these a go before making some black pants for work. They were super easy to construct and I got to put the green machine to work on the overlocked seams. Originally I purchased the fabric intending to make New Look 6949 but found I already had this pattern and it had a nice waistband which 6949 didn’t. Unfortunately this one uses just a smidge more fabric so I had to make the facing from left over fabric but I quite like the contrast.

TOTAL COST:

Pattern $- (From Stash)

Fabric $16.80 (2.4m@$7/m – Spotlight)

Thread $ 4.50

TOTAL: NZ$21.30 / US$14.7

PS. Found my package I left at the supermarket  so more sewing to come.